Rent assistance programs

Various resources are in place to help rehouse our neighbors

What is rent assistance?

Rent assistance helps people leave homelessness by finding homes they can actually afford. The JOHS coordinates short- and long-term rent assistance. Short-term assistance may offer rapid rehousing subsidies or voucher programs. Longer-term assistance may be provided as part of supportive housing services. Rent assistance can often rehouse people directly from the streets.

Elderly man receiving food at home


Rapid re-housing program

Rapid re-housing helps people exit homelessness by identifying permanent housing options, while also helping people retain their housing. The aim of rapid re-housing is to connect people to housing as quickly as possible. This program also involves providing one-time financial assistance or short-term rent assistance for up to 24 months.

Emergency housing voucher program

Emergency housing vouchers are provided by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD). They assist households who are experiencing homelessness, at risk of becoming homeless, fleeing or attempting to flee domestic violence, dating violence, sexual assault, stalking, human trafficking or were recently homeless or at risk of returning to homelessness.

The JOHS deploys these funds through contracted partners who provide housing placement and retention services.

Regional Long-Term Rent Assistance (RLRA) program

The Regional Long-Term Rent Assistance (RLRA) Program — an innovation supported by the Supportive Housing Services Measure — is designed for people who need a long-term subsidy in order to afford housing. RLRA provides flexible, longer-term rent subsidies for households with very low or extremely low levels of income across the region. RLRA subsidies are available for as long as the household needs and remains eligible for the subsidy.

Read about Regional Long-Term Rent Assistance (RLRA) Program policies.


How to get rent assistance

If you are in need of rent assistance, call 211 or visit’s Housing and Shelter page to connect with community organizations who offer housing intervention services.